Gas hob safety regulations
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arielstarr
Labourer
Labourer

Gas hob safety regulations

by arielstarr » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm having a new kitchen and bathroom fitted by a local company and am having a few issues.

My main issue at the moment is that the gas hob has been fitted very close to a full length cupboard (20mm). When we questioned the safety of this the project manager agreed to put a stainless steel splashback on the side of the cupboard. He's now done this, but as the splashback is 20mm thick, the edge of the hob is now touching the splashback, which severely limits which saucepans we can use and makes the hob look squashed. More importantly though, the edge of the cupboard door has not been covered and when using the front left burner this surface becomes very hot, leading me to think that damage, if not fire is fairly likely.

I guess my main question is whether such a positioning, even with the stainless steel splashback meets safety regulations. This positioning is fairly impractical, but is it going to impact on future saleability of my property? I haven't paid the final balance for this job yet and you welcome any advice before I do pay.

Thanks

timthegas
Apprentice
Apprentice

by timthegas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 pm

I HAVE BEEN IN THE GAS INDUSTRY FOR 32 YEARS AND KNOW A LITTLE. 20MM IS TOO CLOSE . AS WITH ANY GAS OR INDEED ANY APPLIANCE AT ALL THEY SHOULD BE INSTALLED TO MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS AS THEY ARE THE PEOPLE THAT DESIGNED THE APPLIANCE BOTH FOR USEABILITY AND SAFETY. ASK YOUR INSTALLER FIRSTLY FOR HIS GAS SAFE REGISTRATION CARD AND ID THEN ASK TO BE SHOWN THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS THIS WILL SHOW ALL CLEARANCES REQUIRED FROM ANY SURFACE SUCH AS CUPBOARDS AND EXTRACTER FANS. THEY ARE VERY CLEARLY SHOWN. IF THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT AVAILABLE THEN ASK THEM TO OBTAIN THEM FOR YOU AS THEY SHOULD BE LEFT WITH YOU UPON COMPLETION FOR FURTHER REFERENCE . DO NOT PAY UNTILL THESE REQUESTS ARE SATISFIED

arielstarr
Labourer
Labourer

by arielstarr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks Tim. I've been on to Gas Safe and the manufacturer and am now clear that basic British Standards haven't been met.We also found out that the wiring doesn't meet manufacturer guidance either.

My next hurdle is what to do about it as our complaint to the company mean that they've now stopped all work, so not only do we have an unsafe hob but also an unfinished kitchen and bathroom! Any suggestions about recourse to complaint welcome!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 pm