Gas?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bananaman
Labourer
Labourer

Gas?

by bananaman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi
Just after some advise on options for central heating ive just bought a terraced house that dates back to mid 1800 but there is no gas supply to the street. the terrace has no land around it but comes with a brick built shed about 5 m away from the house, would this be ok to store lpg cylinders in? would there be any complications getting the supply to the house? and if this is a no go what other options might be open to me to heat the house?
all advise most appreciated

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:37 pm

I know someone that has just bought a house similar to yours, no gas and too expensive to have a gas supply put in. He says he has fitted an electric combi boiler, never heard of them before I thought you just had a water heater and electric heaters so will have to look into that one.

Don't know anything about LPG sorry.

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

by jondeau » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:19 am

LPG cylinders are normally stored in the open air.

I doubt that putting them in a shed will be acceptable....but you could check with your local LPG supplier.

Installation is very simple and merely involves running a pipe from the bottles to the house.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Gas ?

by DONFRAMAC » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:00 am

You could possibly demolish the shed, leaving a concrete plinth, as is needed for a large LPG tank, or Diesel/kerosine tank, and route the fuel under-ground. Some ranch-fencing would be required for camouflage.
My aunt, who converted her anthracite fuelled system to LPG, said it cost the same to run as Economy7 electric off-peak.
For cheapness, my cousin, in a rural location, has installed a diesel-fuelled boiler, which needs a full-height chimney, and has retained an open coal fire, as a contingency, due to the very real risk of power cuts.
An LPG boiler,of course, does not need a vertical flue.
An ex-colleague of mine had such extreme problems with his oil-fired system that he built-on a boiler-house and full-height chimney-stack, onto the gable-end of his 11/2 storey bungalow (a short flue pipe from the old kitchen location was plagued with flue-gas leaks into the kitchen, and snuffed-out pilot flames).
The gas is clean and reliable, and would be cheap to install, but for the cost of the tank ( £1200 I think ) /// The oil option is cheap to run but costs more to install
Your neighbours and the local Planning Authority, have a say also.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:44 pm