All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Plumbingnoob
Labourer
Labourer

General Advice on New Bath or Basin Taps - Having to Replace Every Few Years

Post by Plumbingnoob » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi there

Could anyone please give general advice on some new bath/basin taps?

I'm getting a bit fed up of having to replace every 3 or 4 years, so I'm trying to find some that will last a bit longer. The ones I have are crumbling away, which leaves some nasty sharp edges (though they do not leak at all) and I always seem to get this same problem.

Almost all the ones I've found looking through Amazon, Ebay, Screwfix, B&Q etc seem to be chrome-plated brass. Is there a better option, as it seems to be the chrome that flakes off? - or is it just a case of getting better quality ones than I've had in the past?

Any advice welcome please. I've not had mixers in the bathroom before, but would consider if they are a better bet?

Thanks in advance!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: General Advice on New Bath or Basin Taps - Having to Replace Every Few Weeks

Post by proptech » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:39 am

Hi
Chrome plated brass is the normal material for taps. Even the very cheapest should last longer then that. Any chance that you could post a photo or two of what is happening.

Plumbingnoob
Labourer
Labourer

Re: General Advice on New Bath or Basin Taps - Having to Replace Every Few Weeks

Post by Plumbingnoob » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks for reply. Here's the problem:

Much worse on the hot tap than the cold - limescale do you think?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: General Advice on New Bath or Basin Taps - Having to Replace Every Few Years

Post by proptech » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:06 pm

You do have limescale problems, but looking at the state of that tap - are you 100% sure the component concerned is brass, it looks a lot like chromed plastic to me ?

Plumbingnoob
Labourer
Labourer

Re: General Advice on New Bath or Basin Taps - Having to Replace Every Few Years

Post by Plumbingnoob » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:49 pm

I think it's brass/chrome.

I've got some new ones on order from The Bath Store now and they definitely are. I'll just have to see how I get one with these!

Thanks for your comments.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:45 am