Getting rid of Waste and Chemicals but I Have a Septic Tank?
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

MorganB
Labourer
Labourer

Getting rid of Waste and Chemicals but I Have a Septic Tank?

by MorganB » Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am

Hello,
This is my first post so apologies if I do it slightly wrong. I have just moved into a house which needs a lot of work, and the first issue I have stumbled across is that with it being on a septic tank i'm not certain how to get rid of any chemicals. Now of course im not talking about just pouring chemicals all over the place but for example I have started cleaning up the original brass door handles and used chemical stripper to get the 150 years worth of paint layers off. I have done that and cleaned them down with water, and now I have a bucket of mostly water but with chemical stripper residue in it and I've no idea what to do with it. I can't pour it down the drain as it will mess up the septic tank, we have a drain in the road just outside the house but that discharges into a steam behind so I can't use that either, and we have pets so I don't just want to swish it across the yard and let it dry out and evaporate. Someone else must have had to do a renovation on a property with a septic tank, what did you do with the waste? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it will be the same for white spirit etc etc!

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm