Glowworm Energy 18R Boiler Problem
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mousycarlos
Labourer
Labourer

Glowworm Energy 18R Boiler Problem

Post by Mousycarlos » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 am

Hi

We had a Glowworm Energy 18r boiler installed. Everything was fine for the first 3 weeks. It now has a problem, The installers have check and cant find the problem. I have contacted Glowworm for advice and awaiting their reply. Just wondered if anyone has any idea on what it could be.

The boiler gets turned off about 9pm every night. Last Sunday the pump turns itself on for 10-15 seconds then turns off. Only does it the once. It started doing this on Sunday at 3.27am, Monday it was 2.27am so on until last night 9.30pm.The boiler display doesn't change.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Glowworm Energy 18R Boiler Problem

Post by collectors » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:09 pm

I got a glow worm 30i & might assume there is some similar electronics. If so? it's the frost stat kicking in. Its a real pain in the bum & will waste fuel when it gets colder. What happens with my one is when it gets to 7deg the pump kicks in to just circulate the water. Then if it drops to 3deg the boiler will fire up as well. If your engineer didn't think of this & glow worm does not come back with this answer after you have said the AM times "cold times", they possibly want sacking, lol. But you need to somehow keep an eye on the external temperatures. 4am to 7am is normally the coldest times

Mousycarlos
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Mousycarlos » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Yes the engineer did mention it. But as it started at 3.30am then 2.30am next day then 1.30am and so on until today 7.30pm I don't beleive it is. Seems some sort of timer. We have removed the controller of the wall and it still does it. Boiler display doesn't change.

It's seems very odd. Hopefully Glowworm get back tomorrow.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 am

Could still be just a faulty sensor in the boiler?
On my Glow worm there is 87 fault codes from F00 to F86. The engineer should be able to see if there is any faults in the diagnostic menu. I had to get the list from a glow worm site & download for my boiler as it didn't come with the manual. But it is a very comprehensive list & should help. This should help:
https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/manufactu ... odes#step1

Mousycarlos
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Mousycarlos » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:15 am

UPDATE: Vaillant engineer turned up, within a few minutes, he knew what was going on and advise we contact the installer to change the wiring, he even spoke with them. Installer came out and change the wiring and no more problem.

Vaillant engineer said all new boilers have this "feature" in that the turn on every 23 hours for a few seconds, even if there is no demand and the boiler is turned off. He said most people don't notice it and the ones that do are because the pump is in the airing cupboard in a bedroom.

Solution is the change it form a 5 wire to a 3 wire. Believe they just disconnect the permanent live wire and connect it to the switched live wire( Not completely sure)

Anyway it has fixed the issue. Hopefully someone else may find this useful :)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1