Glueing carpet directly on to underlay
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maryp
Labourer
Labourer

Glueing carpet directly on to underlay

by maryp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi there.
I have plenty of carpet samples and I wanted to make an area rug with them. I would like to glue them on a base so I was thinking to use carpet underlay and glue the samples directly on it. I am not sure if that's possible and if yes I was wondering what kind of underlay carpet would be ideal to be glued directly on the carpet backing and in case what kind of glue can be purchased in order to stick the 2 surfaces together considering that each piece of carpet has a different backing. Thank you very much in advance for you help :)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Glueing carpet directly on to underlay

by stoneyboy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi Maryp
No gluing onto underlay will not work because the underlay is flexible.
Suggest you lay out the samples backing side upwards, spray with carpet adhesive and then lay hessian sacking on this, add further layers of sacking with adhesive to give the stiffness you require.
Regards S

maryp
Labourer
Labourer

by maryp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi Stoneyboy,

That's a brilliant idea and quite affordable too! Do you think I should somehow seal the carpet samples edges to prevent them from fraying? I am going to follow your advise about the hessian sacking in any case.
Thank you so much for your advise! I am looking forward to start this project now :)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Hi maryp
Good idea to seal the edges, suggest you use a thin line of copydex to the backing of each piece.
Regards S

maryp
Labourer
Labourer

by maryp » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:17 pm

I have just ordered some copydex online :) thank you sooo much stoneboy...I am looking forward to get started with this project :)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:48 am

Hi maryp
Hope it works out for you, use the copydex to secure the edges of your samples where the carpet tufts are woven into the backing - keep it on the lower edge only.
Regards S

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 pm