GREY areas -BC / NICEIC
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sparkydelux
Tradesman
Tradesman

GREY areas -BC / NICEIC

by Sparkydelux » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi,

I want to get on to a 'competent persons scheme' but there seems to be quite a few 'hoops' I need to jump through first.

I called NICEIC up the other day and asked to be registered. I got the impression from the guy that it wasn't just a straight forward sign up. I was told I have to have 2 jobs done so they can inspect etc. Well I am just starting out and helping a mate do his place to use this as a credit to my portfolio. Now I am employed by a company doing electrical installations but I can't use any of there work as my personal benefit and its been a desire of mine to work for myself -be my own boss.

I've got all the relevant certs: 17th, Test and inspect, Part P, and did all my training with a good college. I am pretty compenent with my electrical installations, so I think and I aspire to be the best I can.

I got my mate to notify BC of the works we wanted to do. New board, new supply (switch fuse), new circuits to extension and lights (fire rated D/Ls) but its looking like a whole new rewire. All the things BC would need to know about. My mate was told to get it tested by someone. but now I'm confused because I'll be testing it ALREADY. The only difference between me and the other guy is that he has paid £500 to sign stuff off.

My questions are:
If I am getting a portfolio together how do I go about getting myself ready for the NICEIC with out getting an un-neccessary 3rd party to check what I've done?

And if I'm not registered, what can /can't I do? I am aware what needs to be notified and what doesn't. If it requires notification and we have notified BC, do the work ourselves and test it and submit the certs to BC is this sufficient?

What do I do with the work I have already carried out?Stop?Decline the job?

What happens when the supply gets moved? can it be powered up if i've tested it out?

So many grey areas i would like clearing up.

For an industry that is crying out for trades they sure make things difficult to operate in. Makes one want to take up carpentry or something!!!

Help always appreciated,

Sparkydelux

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:30 am

you can consider going to Napit,
You need to get some of your own work done using building controls explain to them that you intend to register up with scheme and this is being used as a probation period until they have inspect some of your jobs and are happy with what you have done, you can still fill the reports in for controls.
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Fri May 01, 2009 11:35 pm

As I understand it, you can notify BC that you are carrying out the work and require a first fix inspection (3 adys notice), they will then send a registered electrician round to inspect your first fix, and tell you of any anything you need to change, You then test, and send them the Cert, and if hasppy with the results, will sign off.
You do need to pay a one off fee for this.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi,
You do need to pay a one off fee, My Local BC fee is priced at about £130 for work under the value of £2000. and they need 48 hours notice and will inspect at first and second fix and review your test results, if they are not happy with them the may re-test installation for conformation.
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Mon May 04, 2009 11:22 pm

Yes
my local authority view the first fix, allow me to test, and review the test results, all via a third party registered contractor, and the fee is about the same.
When you are not doing work that requires Part P all the time, have been doing it for a long time and can read, i find that it makes sense not to register: but that is a diversion from the thread

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue May 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Depends really, if your doing extentions and new builds controls will already be involved and the fee will be taken as a whole.
but if you are doing rewires, adding new circuits, working in special locations it may make sense to register, as the controls fees will soon add up beyond the registraion fee.
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:16 am