Grinding tool
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Grinding tool

by greengrass » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:48 pm

A shot in the dark question

I need the opinion of any owners of the USA Worksharp Air cooled horizontal sharpening /grinder.
See the vidieo on Google "worksharptools.com"
Having knackers so many wood chisle on my grinder, what the video shows and explains has impressed me to want the diy model there is a UK outlet for this tool Google "rutlands.co.uk"

I need opinons as I said before parting with my hard earned cash. I'm fed up with messy oil stones and whet wheels and ruining the burred ones on my virticle grinder and burning a few to the point of the tempering has gone and having to buy new, plus can't get them shop sharp.

Mercian
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Grinding tool

by Mercian » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Greengrass, Never use a grinder to sharpen a wood chisel.Those lines you see are like a ploughed field if you magnify it, and the supersharp edge you seek is more like a saw .A couple of cuts and those "teeth" bend, it doesn't cut well and you're back to the grinder.If you don't like oilstones try a Japanese water stone for finishing and you can shave hairs, honestly.
Lost your temper? Ok grind the profile you want then take a torch and heat the last half inch of the chisel to cherry red ( more like raspberry ) quench in a tub of water, it's hardened. Rub the black finish back to bright steel with fine wet and dry. Holding the chisel so that the light is being reflected to your eye as via a mirror heat the lower middle of the chisel with a gentle flame and watch the colour creep towards the tip as soon as the light straw colour reaches the tip quench, it's tempered. Use a medium /fine oilstone to get an edge then a fine Japanese waterstone or hard Arkansas stone to get that razor edge.You'll put "shop sharp" to shame.After that just keep the edge with your fine stones.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Grinding tool

by greengrass » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Mercian,
I do hope you are looking back at this one.

Many Many thanks for how to re-harden wood chisels I have 4 that I blew out on the dry grider which has a whet (wet) wheel to finish then hone on a oil stone or buy Japanese water stone as you suggest.

I assume from your reply I think you haven't see the webiste videos as this is a grinder with a difference rather than explain here are the sites again

Goole "worksharptools.com" (USA) and
Google "rutlands.co.uk" I'd be interested in your expert opinion

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:17 pm