Ground Level Decking - on slabs or just gravel?
Ask questions and find answers on all your decking problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diyfiesta
Labourer
Labourer

Ground Level Decking - on slabs or just gravel?

by diyfiesta » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:42 am

Hello,

I'm building a ground level deck and after having some mixed advice I'm not sure whether to lay the decking onto slabs positioned strategically around (which themselves would be bedded on gravel) or just cover the whole area with gravel and put the decking (bearers) straight on that. Any tips?

I realise the weed proof membrane will go down regardless but I've been given this advice but don't really understand the impact. I want to avoid damp as much as possible (the deck will be say half under the grass level) and have even been told putting a bit of damp course under the bearers would help...

any tips much appreciated :D

ian1979
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ian1979 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Most people put decking straight onto the ground (on top of landscape fabric) to keep them at low level but there are different qualities of treatment to timber for different applications. Normal tanalith-e treated is only meant for above ground use which would mean raising the sub-frame on either slabs or timber posts, my personal opinion is that this is a bit OTT and I have done a few decks straight onto the ground and have had no problems.
I would definitely make sure the deck slopes away from any buildings approx 1:100 fall and also use ensele to treat exposed end grains (and use liberon decking oil to protect boards from discolouration). DPC can't do any harm either and it isn't expensive.

Ian.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

pmccann
Labourer
Labourer

by pmccann » Wed May 25, 2011 3:54 pm

I have a similar question to below. I am putting deck bearers onto discrete concrete paving slabs (approx 9" gap between the slabs) - the slabs are laying directly onto compacted earth. Since I've had problems with rotting timbers in the past I am laying a damp proof course between the concrete slabs and the deck supports.

My question is: Is it wise to have a continuous DPC between the deck supports and the slabs? When it rains, the rain will collect on the DPC (the rain has nowhere to go) and could then come in direct contact with the deck bearers. Would it be better to puncture the DPC to give drainage but still keeping the DPC between the deck supports and the slabs continuous?

kitchenfittingandjoinery
Labourer
Labourer

by kitchenfittingandjoinery » Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 pm

pmccann wrote:I have a similar question to below. I am putting deck bearers onto discrete concrete paving slabs (approx 9" gap between the slabs) - the slabs are laying directly onto compacted earth. Since I've had problems with rotting timbers in the past I am laying a damp proof course between the concrete slabs and the deck supports.

My question is: Is it wise to have a continuous DPC between the deck supports and the slabs? When it rains, the rain will collect on the DPC (the rain has nowhere to go) and could then come in direct contact with the deck bearers. Would it be better to puncture the DPC to give drainage but still keeping the DPC between the deck supports and the slabs continuous?

where your rotting timbers in the past treated properly? because i have put decking supports for eco homes that extended into a large lake before and had no problems.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:45 pm