DIY Doctor

Grub Screws in Door Handles Keep Coming Loose

Postby HarryCrowther » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi,

The grub screws in my door handles keep working loose.
Which is the best type of grub screw to use? Is the cone point supposed to hold better than the dog point or cup point?

Thanks,

Harry
HarryCrowther
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:56 am

HarryCrowther wrote:Hi,

The grub screws in my door handles keep working loose.
Which is the best type of grub screw to use? Is the cone point supposed to hold better than the dog point or cup point?

Thanks,

Harry

I wouldn't use a grub screw (slot head) instead use a Socket Setscrew (Allen key) and a Knurled Cup point together with Loctite® 222 or LOCTITE® 243

But not LOCTITE® 263 (red)
Sometimewoodworker
Progress to next rank:
7.3%

Postby ZaneC » Tue May 14, 2019 12:29 pm

I'm having the same issue with door handles, when I took it apart, it looks like the tip of a cone point has been bent. Could it be that the metal was too soft?
Does anyone know where I can get a knurled cup point set screw in hardened steel please?
ZaneC
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby HarryCrowther » Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a knurled cup point set screw in hardened steel please?

I got my cup point grub screws from Accu : https://www.accu.co.uk/en/14-cup-point-set-screws.
HarryCrowther
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!