Hanging interior doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tweetsa
Labourer
Labourer

Hanging interior doors

Post by tweetsa » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:43 pm

I have just bought 6 6 panel interior doors from B & Q, on the packaging it states that the doors must be treated prior to hanging. I cant understand why you should stain or paint them only to remove when cutting and planing the door to fit. Am I missing something here. Please help.

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DUDE DIY » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:09 pm

have just bought 6 6 panel interior doors from B & Q, on the packaging it states that the doors must be treated prior to hanging. I cant understand why you should stain or paint them only to remove when cutting and planing the door to fit. Am I missing something here. Please help

Take it up with B&Q, they will know why, my guess is shrinkage/expansion due to any treatments required. Its also 100% easier to paint/stain a door when its not already hung.

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

Post by LCL » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:04 pm

tweetsa

What they probably mean is fit the door, ie trim and adjust so it hangs and works properly with all ironmongery fitted, then removal all and decorate before fitting for good.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi. Sounds pretty odd to me. As DUDE DIY & tweetsa say it is easier to finish when the door is flat. But beyond that I can't think of a single reason.

cafetorium
Labourer
Labourer

Post by cafetorium » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:11 pm

I made the mistake of buying doors from B&Q.

I didn't heed the warning. I now have two quite badly warped doors.

If you remove the wrapping - stain, lacquer, varnish or paint them straight away otherwise you'll get warped doors too.

Yes, you end up cutting some of the finish away when you cut and drill for locks, handles and hinges. You'll need to touch them in before doing the final fit.

It's a hassle, but worth it to avoid warped doors.

The problem is that wood isn't weathered or dried properly. They claim it's kiln dried, but it's still not good enough. So they make the doors up and shrink-wrap them to prevent further moisture loss.
The fact that they are kept in a relatively cool warehouse and then brought into a warm home doesn't help either.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi. If that's true I'd be returning the doors under the sale of goods act as unfit for purpose.

Again if true this is appalling behaviour, selling seriously sub-standard stuff and trying to convince the DIYer (who couldn't be expected to know better) that it is 'normal' behaviour for a door.

I'm actually quite shocked.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:02 am