Have a Hammer Drill, got a Combi Drill as present.. which to keep
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have a Hammer Drill, got a Combi Drill as present.. which to keep

by mth » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi all,

as a normal non-pro DIY guy with some home projects and smaller renovations here and there, I have been quite happy with my Bosch PSB 650 RE Hammer Drill.
Someone meant it really well with me and gave me for my birthday a cordless Bosch Universal Impact 18 Combi Drill.

I definitely wouldn't want to keep both, but I am not sure if the cordless one can replace my conventional drill (and I don't want to test it, because up to now, the cordless is still un-opened and can be exchanged).

I do need to be able to get through the occasional stubborn part of the wall (sturdy 1930ies house), but I am by no means a power user.

Will the UniversalImpact 18 serve? Because cordless would be a charm ..

Many thanks!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Have a Hammer Drill, got a Combi Drill as present.. which to keep

by stoneyboy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi math
Stick with the mains one - it has a larger Chuck and does not rely on batteries which tend to decay over a month or so.
Regards S

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Have a Hammer Drill, got a Combi Drill as present.. which to keep

by plumbbob » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:53 am

Like most tradesmen, I use battery tools for pretty much everything these days as modern batteries are absolutely awsome.

But saying that, I'm with Stoneyboy on this one. The Bosch is entry level anyway, and whilst the small chuck and power might be ok for your purposes, the big no no is the battery which needs exercising regularly otherwise it will stop taking a charge. My guess is it'll be dead within 6 months.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:13 am