Help, Cold Grey Kitchen Cabinets in North Facing Room
Your comments on how to design the perfect home - And help others do it !

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Helen3108sunshine
Labourer
Labourer

Help, Cold Grey Kitchen Cabinets in North Facing Room

Post by Helen3108sunshine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:09 am

I've just moved house and the kitchen which faces north (and part of a larger family room) has a light grey cabinets. It's a really cold, battleship grey and I know you should always put a warm colour in north facing rooms to try and counteract the cold blue light. To make matters worse, they've gone for black granite on the island which makes the room feel darker still. Even the glass splashback is cold blue/green colour. Thinking about some funky patterned fired earth tiles behind sink to add some interest. I can't change too much because of money and am contemplating respraying the kitchen and will definitely paint the walls another colour. I have investigated changing the granite worktop to wood (which I know some of you will think is shameful as black granite's so expensive) but it all sounds a bit risky as they don't know if it will damage the floor etc until they've done it. My dilemma is what colour should I respray the kitchen cupboards and which colour for the walls. I want to go light and warm on the cupboards i.e. a light cream, but then again I want the walls that colour too but with white worktops and a pale laminate floor, I think it's all going to look very bland. I thought about doing either the cabinets or walls a warm pale green with a hint of grey perhaps and the other cream but I'm really worried about making an expensive mistake. If it were an oak floor, I wouldn't mind going cream on cabinets and walls, but it's not. Also is cream with black granite a bit dated. Really appreciate some inspiration. You can see what I mean in the photos about it looking cold and uninviting. It looks better at night.

HayseyDesigns
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Help, Cold Grey Kitchen Cabinets in North Facing Room

Post by HayseyDesigns » Fri May 01, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi Helen,

I can't see any photographs attached - would you be able to upload a few photographs of the kitchen and the adjoining family room for us to see please? That would help immensely.

Green is a fantastic colour to use in a kitchen, it's a very calm tone that instills a sense of well being whenever its used. If you use a green with yellow undertones in it, for example then as you correctly mentioned, you would counteract the cool northern light - or you could spray the cupboards in a lighter, warm grey to keep the kitchen looking sleek and modern and help them sit nicely with the granite. Then you could use a modern cream/light colour on the walls as you were hoping to do.

What colour/surface is the current floor by the way?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:18 pm