HELP - door panel replacement
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PHIL B
Labourer
Labourer

HELP - door panel replacement

by PHIL B » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:43 pm

I need to replace a smashed back door panel (abt 26" x 15") and whilst a hammer, 2 pieces of wood and a nail has always been a major, major problem - I'm gonna give it a go !!

The old panel is about 1/8" thick and made up of thin horizontal and vertical layers (you can tell I'm new at this already can't you). Plan is to visit the local B&Q or similar to get a panel cut, chip away at the outside (dowelling ?) to release the panel and clean the frame - insert new panel and secure with pins to fresh dowelling (presume B&Q can supply also) undercoat a couple of times as the new panel will presumably soak up a bit of paint, and then gloss to finish. Simple!! or is it ?

Your advice eagerly awaited - job planned for an early start tomorrow with the rest of the family totally unconvinced I can do it.

Phil B

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:24 am

Certainly sounds like a plan Phil but you might find that the panel is actually held in by beading (your dowelling)which is removable. Use a sharp chisel and push in between the bead and the shelf it sits on, and lever up. Panels are put in just the way you describe but there is usually no need to damage anything. If there is, you are right, and new
beading can be installed easily.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am