HELP: External Driveway Latern lights - Armoured wire etc...
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jig
Labourer
Labourer

HELP: External Driveway Latern lights - Armoured wire etc...

by jig » Mon May 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi

Need advice on adding additional outdoor lights on to two tiers. The existing setup is I have to entrance(A)/exit (B) with lights on tiers on positions A2 and B1 as shown below..

A1----3m----A2------------------20m-------------------B1----3m-----B2

The pair of tiers are about 30m from the house and have armoured wire going to each point. I want to add an additional light to each pair. I have the following qns...

1. What type of armoured wire do I use?
2. How should it be fitted, series, etc?
3. What sundry items will I need?
4. What certs will I need?

I hope the above is clear, please let me know if you need more info.
Thanks in advance..
jig

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 18, 2009 7:14 pm

jig,
you should use the same cable as already in circuit, lights are wired in parallel and not series. So it's a line conductor and neutral conductor across the lamps, you'll need swa clips, glands, olives, bangos etc...
It's a part p notifiable work, if not done by registered electrician.
An electrician can issue electrical installtion certs where Building controls normally issue compliance to building controls certs.
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Mon May 18, 2009 10:19 pm

SWA 1.5mm/sq
Gland Packs for the above.
As it is a special location, it must either be notified an inspected by BC or their agents, or by a self -certifying sparky.

jig
Labourer
Labourer

by jig » Tue May 19, 2009 6:24 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]jig,
you should use the same cable as already in circuit, lights are wired in parallel and not series. So it's a line conductor and neutral conductor across the lamps, you'll need swa clips, glands, olives, bangos etc...
It's a part p notifiable work, if not done by registered electrician.
An electrician can issue electrical installtion certs where Building controls normally issue compliance to building controls certs.
KB[/quote]
Thanks

How do I tackle the crossing the driveway? I take it i need to bury some SWA in some conduit? Problem is the current SWA gos right up the tier and there is a connector to the wire. Any hints / tips, dont really want to knock the tiers down and start again:(

Jig

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed May 20, 2009 7:15 pm

Jig,
regulation general requirement are the cable to be buried in ground about 600mm where gardening or tooling of ground could take place, it needs to laid in gravel, capped and electrical indentification tape laid across the length of it.
You could clip above ground but this must be done above level of ground at a height where mechanically damaged can be caused to cable.
Don't quite understand what you mean be tiers are we talking of raised platforms or pier post as in balustrade.
As previously stated Part P(noifiable) or Reg'd electrician, is a legal requirement
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:09 pm