help ME TO get a good gloss paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuann
Labourer
Labourer

help ME TO get a good gloss paint

by stuann » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:28 pm

HI
I AM LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON GLOSS PAINT
I PAINTED A DOOR IN MY HALL IT WAS A WEEK BEFORE I GOT BACK TO THE NEXT DOOR AND WHEN IT WAS DONE THE FIRST LOOKED MORE CREAM THAN WHITE . I AM LOOKING FOR A WHITE GLOSS WHICH WILL STAY WHITE LONGER. I USED DULUX NON DRIP GLOSS
THANKS

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi stuann, there can be a number of reasons for this the first being preperation and the colour that you have covered up. Next could be the paint you have used. Did you use the 2 in 1 stuff or just the non drip gloss. If it was the latter did you give the door an undercoat first. I would use the Dulux trade paint myself 2 coats undercoat and 1 top coat and not the non drip stuff. I only like using oil based ones not the water based ones. A bit more info would help give better answer.

stuann
Labourer
Labourer

by stuann » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:51 pm

theshedman wrote:Hi stuann, there can be a number of reasons for this the first being preperation and the colour that you have covered up. Next could be the paint you have used. Did you use the 2 in 1 stuff or just the non drip gloss. If it was the latter did you give the door an undercoat first. I would use the Dulux trade paint myself 2 coats undercoat and 1 top coat and not the non drip stuff. I only like using oil based ones not the water based ones. A bit more info would help give better answer.

Hi it was a white door.i used just the non drip gloss.
i didnt know i needed undercoat as it was white already.
i use non drip as i am quite messy and end up with carpet covered lol
thanks for answer i will try dulux trade undercoat and a topcoat see if it helps
thanks ann

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi stuann, you need the undercoat otherwise within a week or two the colour that was on the door before you painted will bleed through as you have found. A coat or two of undercoat will put a stop to that. If you tend to get paint on the carpet why not put a newspaper under the door and spread it out a bit to catch any bits that fall. Good luck. Shed.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:44 pm