Help needed with DIY DPC for 1876 mid terrace property
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dianelc77
Labourer
Labourer

Help needed with DIY DPC for 1876 mid terrace property

Post by Dianelc77 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi, I've just moved back into an 1876 mid terrace that I've had tenants in for 6 yrs. Last tenant didn't heat the house (and totally wrecked it but that's another story). Now furniture is cleared I have found patches of rising damp on most walls. Been quoted £2800 and 4 days to fix. I only want to stay 6 months and then sell so reluctant to spend best part of 3k. Also the existing cert is still valid but the co that did it no longer exists. Been told by a couple of people that I can DIY it using DP cream. Got questions though....

1 Is it true that this can be done effectively by an amateur?
2 Do I only need to remove the skirting and drill and fill, or do I have to replaster to 1m ie will the existing plaster if damp make the new DPC ineffective? The DP quote was based on running rhe new course at 1m high, does this mean it needs doing at that level or is it just a reason to do/charge more? (am a cynic by nature sorry!)
3 How long should I wait afterwards before I can tell if it's worked ie when can I redecorate?

Basically I need to know is this likely to work in anyone's experience or should I just cough up for the pro job?

Many thanks in advance!
Diane

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help needed with DIY DPC for 1876 mid terrace property

Post by welsh brickie » Fri May 06, 2016 7:04 pm

try www.dryzone.eu for more information.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Help needed with DIY DPC for 1876 mid terrace property

Post by lets have a look » Sat May 07, 2016 6:12 am

I would hire a dehumidifier to draw out the water which sounds like it has built up because the tenant never opened any windows or used the heating,
go to any hire shop.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:29 pm