Help! Painted vinyl silk on plastered ceiling!
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Shushi
Labourer
Labourer

Help! Painted vinyl silk on plastered ceiling!

Post by Shushi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:52 am

Hi I have just had my whole kitchen re-plastered and I foolishly painted vinyl silk b&q White paint on the ceiling as recommended to do so by a colleague! After Reading various posts about doing mid washes and White washes with matt paint I am now really worried! I have done 2 coats of vinyl silk straight onto the ceiling and there are some patchy parts of the ceiling showing! Please can anyone advise me urgently!!! Thanks!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Shushi,
Just leave it for a few weeks and see if the patches disappear.
end

manol84
Labourer
Labourer

Post by manol84 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Did you put a layer of new plaster paint underneath that vinyl silk?? if yes you should not have this patches , however if they keep coming up, paint it with undercoat give it time to dry and repaint over it with silk again

jonyhon
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jonyhon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Its ok , just be sure all or your vinyl has compatible with your silk

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Its patchy for one of two reasons:

1. The plaster wasn't properly dried out before you painted it. It doesn't dry evenly so some paint on dry stuff and some on not so dry - hence patchy. How long after the plasterer had finished did you leave it before painting? Was it just a skim?

2. You don't have an even layer of paint over the whole ceiling. Because you used the paint neat then it went on too thickly making it difficult to get an even coat.

Silk finish doesn't stick too well to new plaster anyway so a coat of oil based undercoat won't solve any potential adhesion problems that you may have had because the substrate was still wet/damp or paint was too thickly applied.

Paint For New Plaster as a retail product is marketing hype. A mist coat of matt emulsion (though NOT rich matt) would have been fine first.

SBs suggestion has some merit as if it is a plaster issue the patches may disappear as the plaster completely dries.

If it were me (which it isn't and so not my decision) I'd scrape the whole lot off before it cures fully (about 30 days), mist coat with supermatt or vinyl matt, second (but still diluted) coat of matt then on with the silk.

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm

rosebery, i've noticed that you advise quite strongly against the use of rich matt (dulux rich matt i assume) for the mist coat. just curious as to why that particular paint is unsuitable?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi C

Yes the Dulux one. It doesn't stick to new plaster. Found out the hard way!!!!

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:20 pm

do you know if dulux trade vinyl matt is ok? hope so, i used it for a mist coat jus t'other day!! time will tell i suppose...

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Trade Vinyl Matt is brill. Use it all the time.

Cheers

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:47 pm