Help Required With Wiring up a Bell in New Build Property
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Englishdesi
Labourer
Labourer

Help Required With Wiring up a Bell in New Build Property

Post by Englishdesi » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:55 pm

I managed to get the bell to work when I hooked up the twin bell wire from the bell push to terminals 0 & 2. I have two further questions:

1. The transformer makes a really loud humming sound when on. Is this normal ? or has something gone wrong.

Hi There,

I just moved into a new-build house and changed the 6v bell chime and transformer to a Wired Belron 776 with built in 8v transformer. (pic attached)

1 Having now got an 8 V Transformer Set Up. I want to now upgrade my doorbell to the Ring Video Pro. I learned today that this requires a Pro Power Cable for installation in the EU. I have outlined a link below:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/a...- ... ansformers

2. Confusion has arisen on my end as I understand I have to take one of the cables and put it in each clip but my question is which one ? Even more confusing is the fact that I have two bell push cables (orange and blue) when the ring instructions for the Pro Power Cable only make allowances for two cables (one of them being one bell wire)

Please Please Help - any advice would be appreciated.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help Required With Wiring up a Bell in New Build Property

Post by ericmark » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:43 am

The link does not work, wired door bells drop into two very different types, the ding dong type often uses a high current for a short time and as a result the thickness of the cable is very important.

The electronic type however use a very low current and my electronic door bell had the repeater speaker and back door bell push wired with alarm cable which is very thin without a problem.

There are also different voltages, 4, 8 and 12 volt often from the same transformers it is down to how wired as to what voltage you get, 16 volt was also used but today rarely seen, and the intercom type where it rings your cordless phone are often 12 volt DC, these can also with special answer handset release the door remotely.

So if using an old ding dong door bell volt drop is a problem, often one can stretch or compress the hammer spring to compensate for volt drop, with the electronic type the cable is not that important.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm