Help Wanted With Levelling Compound for Floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

Milo19
Labourer
Labourer

Help Wanted With Levelling Compound for Floor

by Milo19 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi there /

New to the forum but have used the site for years.

I moved in to my house nearly ten years ago, but the kitchen is now finally going to be revamped. The flooring I have down at the moment is a cheap vinyl, which is fairness has lasted the test of time but it now is in need of replacement.

Underneath the vinyl is black tiles on a concrete base which I guess are a original install as they are throughout the downstairs. I also now believe these could be asbestos tiles having down some research. In the kitchen area, the black tiles are covered in old tile adhesive which was left over after I lifted the old vinyl tiles.

Now because I believe the black tiles to be asbestos, I cannot lift these and then use a compound on the concrete so what I need to know is how much prep work is required to use a levelling compound.

I am happy to do the prep for best results, but I have spoke to various people and got very mixed answers. Some say just lift the vinyl and poor on the compound, and others say lift the vinyl, and remove all old adhesive and thoroughly clean before using the compound.

It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:23 am