Help with Custom Coat Rack
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
muffintop
Labourer
Labourer

Help with Custom Coat Rack

by muffintop » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi All,

I want to install a custom coat rack in our garage. I have done a rough sketch up of what I'd like.

Basically, two batons fixed to the wall securely, around 1.3 metres apart. I'd like to use a 45 degree angled support to support a shelf above it and house the coat pole. To be honest the shelf is not a necessity more for aesthetics really.
The thing is I'm doubting the strength of the angled supports and feel they will just pull away from the batons when the weight is too much from the coats.

Any advise on how I can do this? I want to it be off the floor and fixed to the wall and hold around 10-15 coats of various size and weight.

Hope I've conveyed this properly but doubt it.

Thanks in advance!!

[img]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/callie_sunrise/coat%20rack/Coat_Rack.jpg[/img]

Dunno why the link isn't working, works OK when you copy and paste it but that's not much use is it!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:43 pm

muffintop,
Provided you make proper mortice and tenon joints into the shelf and baton you should be ok.
end

jackthebuilder
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jackthebuilder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 am

Hi Muffintop

Unless you are very experienced with mortice and tenon joints, I wouldn't bother (hence Stoneyboy's 'PROPER mortice joints').

Inaccurate mortice and tenons usually just weaken a structure!

How about using triangles of 18mm ply at each end instead of your 'angled support? You are then free to drill a hole for the 'coat pole' anywhere you like (within the triangle).

Hope that helps.

Jack.

muffintop
Labourer
Labourer

by muffintop » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:53 am

[quote="stoneyboy"]muffintop,
Provided you make proper mortice and tenon joints into the shelf and baton you should be ok.
end[/quote]

Hmmm, I thought as much. Guess I'd better start practising mortise an tenon joints then :(

muffintop
Labourer
Labourer

by muffintop » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:36 am

Hi Jackthebuilder,

Thanks for the feedback.

Would you just fix the triangle to the baton and shelf with angle brackets?

Thanks,

muffintop
Labourer
Labourer

by muffintop » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:48 pm

[quote="jackthebuilder"]Hi Muffintop

How about using triangles of 18mm ply at each end instead of your 'angled support? You are then free to drill a hole for the 'coat pole' anywhere you like (within the triangle).

Hope that helps.

Jack.[/quote]

Would you fix the ply to the batons and shelf with angled brackets?

Cheers,

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:18 pm