Help with electrical wires
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
harty
Labourer
Labourer

by harty » Tue May 08, 2007 10:19 pm

HI I am putting up new ceiling light fixture but the new lights have blueand a brown and yellow/green wires and my old light fixture as black and red what wire connects to each other via a small plastic junction box in new fitting ...thanks

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Wed May 09, 2007 12:54 am

Brown is the modern substitute for the old red-lead for live convention. That makes blue the replacement for black, the neutral, safe, connection. At the same time as the colours changed, houses had their neutral cables bonded to the earth, by the electricians working in houses, be it Utility Workers, or kitchen/bathroom installers. The earth leads are now sleeved with green & white striped plastic;-- you can buy sleeving of this spec., and some brands are heat-shrink type.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 09, 2007 5:19 pm

Sorry but must take issue with answer given by 'Donframac'
House neutrals cannot/must not be connected to earth by anyone but the supply authority, by request, and then only done if the whole area around the property is also done!
This is the principle of 'P.M.E. (protective MULTIPLE earthing), & to bond odd properties at random is Dangerous.
when this system is introduced into an area every underground joint is linked N-E & every 3rd pole on overhead wiring Neutral is bonded to an earth plate, this has no link to part p or colour changes, regards SPARX

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Help with electric wires

by DONFRAMAC » Wed May 09, 2007 10:50 pm

I must agree with "Sparx", as the Hydro-Electric Board in my area were the first to make me aware of the new "bonding" practice, when they did this in my home when they uprated my 60 Amp main fuse, to 80 Amps. Ever since then, our DIY shops have been selling earth-bonding kits, for use in kitchens and bathrooms, where they reinforce the bonding done at the incomer. I have seen these bonding clamps below sinks in new hospitals, and in re-plumbed hospital out-buildings.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:33 am