help with Osom polyx oil on mahogany floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
airborne007
Labourer
Labourer

help with Osom polyx oil on mahogany floor

Post by airborne007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:52 pm

I have sanded back a parquet floor to a lovely smooth finish and tried to finish it with Osmo poloyx oil. It is a mahogany hardwood floor and 36 hours later the oil has not dried. I have been on to the osmo rep who supplied my local shop the oil and he reckons there is nothing you can do just let it dry on it's own but it could take days because it is mahogany. I have used Osmo loads of times on Oak and it is great just having a nightmare on the mahogany. The main problem is it is a bungalow hallway with the bedrooms and bathroom all off it. Anyone got any other suggestions? ....Help! ...please!

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Tall Tone » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Sadly now it's down, it's just a waiting game to allow it to dry.

This is a perfect example of why I try and avoid Hardwax Oil whenever I can.
If we could wind the clock back and you still wanted to use HWO I would recommend the Osmo Rapide or Bona HWO. I would then apply the first coat very thin with a roller and then use a buffer to spread out the HWO and an oil cloth to remove any excess. Then after about 1 hour I would apply a second coat very very thinly. Should be dry on Mahogany in about 6 - 8 hours

Alternatively I would personally recommend a lacquer like Bona Mega. Much cleaner to apply and far less maintenance long term. They even have stains to give it the colour of a HWO and an Extra Matt to give the sheen level of a HWO

Regards
TT

airborne007
Labourer
Labourer

Post by airborne007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks for your answer Tall Tone. I have let it dry now and have managed to sand most of the HWO off, one last light sand tomorrow. I was just going to apply 'ronseal, hard as diamond' instead of any wax or oils. What are your thoughts on that mate, although I'll probably have done it by tomorrow.
Thanks again!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:22 pm