Help with patching leakng flat roof on house
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Scooters pal
Labourer
Labourer

Help with patching leakng flat roof on house

Post by Scooters pal » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Hello to all and happy holidays.

Purchased a home last month with a mostly flat roof. Apprehensive in doing so for obvious reasons and now find I have leaking issues to deal with : (

Roof is modified rolled fiber material. Strips about 18" wide. May be several layers thick. Building built in 1947.

Changing weather here in the U.S. Northeast makes major replacement work impossible so I am left with needing to apply some kind of emergency patch system where there are leaks.

Purchased a product called Leaker Stopper at local home supply store. Rubberized asphalt material thick like molasses. Applied with a trowel. Worked it on in the suspect areas. Will see if it successful.

Suspected spots have heavy aligatoring... as the roofers call it. Is this the old coatings coming up from heat?

Is there anything you folks can suggest that may be better?

I will try and post some pics.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Scooters pal
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Help with patching leakng flat roof on house

Post by Scooters pal » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Pictures include wide shot of part of my flat roof. Close up of heavy aligatoring in some spots and small sections where material is coming up at the seams.

I am repairing what I find with Leak Stopper as mentioned in my first post. Other suggestions most appreciated.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:45 pm

In the uk we lay a small layer of limestone chippings (small stones 6mm) on the roof, bedded into the asphalt this protects the layers from frost, and heat

Scooters pal
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Scooters pal » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Wondering what the repair process is if you have a section of the roofing material that is lifting up?

There is about a 4 foot square area that has come up. Not torn and no sign of any leaking (yet) but is does not lay flat like the rest of the roof.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:06 am