Help with Repairing Flaky Paint in an En-Suite above Shower
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DavidP932
Labourer
Labourer

Help with Repairing Flaky Paint in an En-Suite above Shower

by DavidP932 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:02 pm

First post so hello to all. I’m a novice at pretty much all things DIY so would really appreciate some help.

I had some flaky paint appearing in my en suite ceiling and decided to try and tackle it. The worst of it was over the shower itself while the other end of the ceiling, where the air flow is better, wasn't as affected.

I've removed as much of the paint as possible by scraping and sanding and am left half with paint/half without – please see photos.

So, if possible, I’d like some advice on how to repair the area that is clear of paint, prepare it and paint it.

Thanks.
Attachments
DSC00543a.jpg
DSC00541a.jpg

thedoctor

Re: Help with Repairing Flaky Paint in an En-Suite above Shower

by thedoctor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:39 am

Thoroughly scrub with fungacide solution first, following rinsing instructions closely. Allow to dry, Then apply the following primer-binder which will ensure the area stays stable when painted again, preferably with the paint in the second link which is the only paint we will recommend for shower ceilings.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... litre.html

Good luck and do let us know how you get on

DavidP932
Labourer
Labourer

by DavidP932 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:23 pm

thedoctor wrote:Thoroughly scrub with fungacide solution first, following rinsing instructions closely. Allow to dry, Then apply the following primer-binder which will ensure the area stays stable when painted again, preferably with the paint in the second link which is the only paint we will recommend for shower ceilings.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on

Hi. Just wanted to say thanks for the reply. I'm going to tackle it in the New Year (no really, I will) and let you know how it's going as I progress.

DIYJC
Apprentice
Apprentice

by DIYJC » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:55 pm

I'll follow this thread with interest as I have a similar problem but haven't progressed it as far as you have. I have tried before using a pva glue mix as a primer but it hasn't worked; good luck

DavidP932
Labourer
Labourer

by DavidP932 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:55 pm

DIYJC wrote:I'll follow this thread with interest as I have a similar problem but haven't progressed it as far as you have. I have tried before using a pva glue mix as a primer but it hasn't worked; good luck

Hi DIYJC

I ordered the paint through this site and it arrived well packaged. Delivery was pretty slow but that could be due to the holiday period.

In the meantime, I kept chipping away at the old paint which flaked a little more every time the shower was used. I borrowed a neighbours electric sander that just made a complete mess and in hindsight, I don't think it was necessary. If you do choose to use one though, please use a proper mask (there are plenty of cheap disposable masks online) and safety goggles.

I've now applied 3 coats of the primer which is probably overkill as two is more than sufficient. It has done it's job perfectly and there are no longer any loose flakes and the ceiling now feels smooth to the touch.

I'm hoping to put the first coat of paint in the next few days so by the end of the week the job should be complete. I'll let you know how that goes and intend to include some photos.

Hope this helps and all the best, D

DavidP932
Labourer
Labourer

by DavidP932 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi.

After 3 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint, the area is well sealed and I'm confident I won't have mould or flaky paint for a good few years.

Unfortunately, there remains some visible patches as displayed in the photo's. The flaky paint has been resolved though.Perhaps the solution would have been to skim the area but I'm not going back to square one!

Still pleased it's done. Hope this helps.
Attachments
DSC00568a.jpg
DSC00566a.jpg

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:39 pm