Help with wrap around side return extension size limit
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tgeorge
Labourer
Labourer

Help with wrap around side return extension size limit

by tgeorge » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi, Need some urgent advise as we are in the process of submitting an offer and this will help us make an informed decision.

Details
- The house is unextended and is about 23ft wide and 26ft deep
- Rear garden is about 80ft and there is 30ft of space to the side
- The attached neighbour has a 3.5m rear extension (not wraparound)

We want a wrap-around that is 3m to the side and 4.5m to the rear.

An architect I contacted says that wraparound extensions have to be 3m at both side AND rear and a 4.5m rear extension will not be allowed by the council (Harrow Council in NW London). A 4.5m will be allowed without a wrap-around.

Is this true? Assuming neighbours have no problem, is the 3m rear limit for a wraparound extension an absolute limit with no scope for appeal?

If so, we may have to do a 4.5m rear and a 3.5m side separately and not as a wraparound. Will I need planning permission in this case? And can I apply for permission in future to connect them as a wrap-around?

We really want the wraparound though so any advice will be very helpful

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help with wrap around side return extension size limit

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 pm

Hi tgeorge
If you are referring to “Permitted Development Rights”then for a detached house you can extend to the rear by 4m and to the side by half the width of the existing house.
I put PDR in brackets because I have found that even if within PD limits PP is still required by local authorities.
I suspect that you will only get a definitive answer to your question about wrap around extensions by submitting plans.
Regards S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help with wrap around side return extension size limit

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi tgeorge
If you are referring to “Permitted Development Rights”then for a detached house you can extend to the rear by 4m and to the side by half the width of the existing house.
I put PDR in brackets because I have found that even if within PD limits PP is still required by local authorities.
I do not think that you will get a definitive answer to your question about wrap around extensions unless you submit plans.
Regards S

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 pm