hole in wall!
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
laloo
Labourer
Labourer

hole in wall!

by laloo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 am

I have just removed an old gas heater from my house. When i removed it i found that there was a hole in the wall going directly to the exterior of the house to a metal vent. Does anyone know how I can fill this in? I have no idea.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:21 pm

Remove any metal vents carefully, see our projects on mixing mortar, replacing a damaged brick and pointing brickwork. This will teach you how to lay bricks or brick pieces in the hole. The hole can then be plastered over. See our project on plastering. If the external hole needs to be "Fair Faced" brickwork, ie what you do is to be seen regularly, then use a hammer and bolster chisel to Cut out any brick pieces through which the hole was drilled so you end up with a square shaped hole rather than a round one. Try and keep the remaining bricks "whole" so the bond of the bricks stays intact (one brick overlaps the one below it by half of its length). Then fill the hole with new brickwork.

laloo
Labourer
Labourer

by laloo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 am

Thanks, that's a great help, i'll get to work!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:36 am