Hot Plug for European Appliance
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jsnix
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Plug for European Appliance

by Jsnix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Good afternoon

I have a European appliance that I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000IY ... op?ie=UTF8

On a UK three pin plug. The plug gets very hot, and the appliance has the following rating (attached)
SmartSelect_20190106-122931_Gallery.jpg

Is a normal 13A plug sufficient? Or do I need something else?

Thank you!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hot Plug for European Appliance

by Mr White » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 pm

A standard UK plug is only designed to carry 13A (around 3,100 watts) Your "device" is using (16A) 3,400 watts, 300watts too many.

You need to get a competent person to either install a 16A Plug and socket (Not normally found in a domestic home) or have the appliance connected to its own radial circuit (which would be better)

If you continue using it as it is, it is very likely it will over heat and cause a fire, and the insurance company will not pay out as it is not an appliance that can be plugged into a normal UK socket.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hot Plug for European Appliance

by ericmark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 am

In Europe they don't have a fuse in the plug, and don't use the ring final system, to use an European appliance designed for a 16 amp supply you need a dedicated supply from the consumer unit.

Some house today do use the radial system, and if that is the case you may be able to get a 15 or 16 amp socket fitted, but since in the main we use the ring final system, in the main we are not permitted to fit a 15/16 amp socket as the supply protective device (fuse, MCB, RCBO) is to large to allow connection.

Unfortunately you can't get a fuse connection unit with a 16A fuse, so you will likely need a dedicated supply, this is unfortunately common when you use European products.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:41 pm