Hot water and rads comming on
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sixty Six
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sixty Six » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi, my heating comes on when I only want hot water. I have tried to select hot water only on the control but the rads still get hot. I have thermo valves on the rads and I have switched all of them off except for 1 so the water can flow round the system ( not sure if this is right or not).

Is there any thing I can do as I cannot afford to get a pro in at the moment.

Thanks 66

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

Post by AdamsHeating » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:30 pm

Is it a combi boiler system or tank and cylinder system?

If it's a cylinder with tanks in the loft, it sounds like your three port valve may be broken. It's an easy job but a wet one if done incorrectly, and there will be a bit of wiring into the junction box.

Parts won't be too expensive but you will need a few spanners.

Let me know how you get on.

AH.

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:22 pm

It sounds to me as you have a problem with your time clock and the connections are crossed but as without a better description of set up would hate to comment any further
regards
Topspark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:13 pm

hi, you don't say anything about the system but if it was working before then a fault has developed which could be motorised valve stuck, or a room thermostat contacts stuck(if one is fitted) or the programmer has gone faulty (unlikely).
how many motorised valves are there? one with 3 pipes to it,
or 2 with 2 pipes to each?
whichever you are going to need help so ask around for local trusted control engineer who may be known as an electrician or a heating engineer or a plumber, there are some good and less able of each type, because even if we narrow down the fault on here most fixes are not going to be DIY, sorry,
regards SPARX

Sixty Six
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sixty Six » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:46 pm

Adamsheating, Topspark and sparx,

thanks all for you input. The system is a boiler with a water tank in the loft, I also posted another thread asking the same question ( a bit new to all of this ) and also looked at all of this site for answers. I have now replaced the actuator - 3 port valve - and all is well.

Again, thanks for the response it is appreciated.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1