Hot Water & Heating not working together
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bakerda
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Water & Heating not working together

by bakerda » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Hello
Could do with some advice. I have recently (this year) had a new boiler installed by British Gas. I can't understand though if my system is working correctly or not.

If I have the heating on independtly everything works fine, if I have my hot water on independently everything works fine. However, if I want to heat my water at the same time as having my heating on, my heating works fine, but it doesn't heat my water.

Does this sound normal?

I beleive I have a gravity fed system, with a hot water tank, and standard conventional boiler. I have a fancy wireless thermostat which to work to its full potential means I need to leave the heating on all the time and allow it to heat to the temperatures I set - of course doing this means I'd never have any hot water as you can't heat the water if the heating is on!

Doesn't sound right to me, but wondered if anyone could offer any advice.

Thanks,
BakerDa

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hot Water & Heating not working together

by plumbbob » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:01 pm

I am not sure your interpretation of your system is accurate. IF you have a gravity system then the hot water must be on every time the boiler fires. Normally the problem is the reverse - people complain they can't have the heating on alone.

Obviously there is something strange with your setup that is preventing the water being heated. Whatever, you should always have hot water regardless of the heating setting. (Except for combination boilers which can only heat one or the other.)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1