hot water
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pmt
Labourer
Labourer

hot water

by pmt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:46 pm

Can any body help, we have our hot water from a 250lt indirect hot water tank but have low hot water pressure in the bath room and shower. The cold is mains feed. Could we fit a pump to the hot water. Thanks.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 am

check that the cold feed to the bottom of the hot water cylinder isnt obstructed...... is the valve open fully? The pressure from the cold water tank into the bottom of the cylinder is what forces the hot water out the top of the cylinder and thus indirectly controls your hot water pressure.

By ensuring this flow is optimal you should get better hot pressure. other things to check are whether your pipes to the taps are flexi hoses - solid copper pipe offers better pressure. Also by raising the cold water tank in the loft you will get better pressure.

Also I would imagine your cold taps are fed from the cold tank in the loft and not direct from mains. Your mains supplies your kitchen tap and cold water tank only in most cases.

Therefore I would imagine that a seized gate valve on the cold to the bottom of your hot cylinder may be your problem.

pmt
Labourer
Labourer

by pmt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. The valves are open from the tank to the bottom of the hot water tank, the cold water fed to the bathroom is from the mains. i have checked the pipes to the taps and they are copper pipes. Your idea of lifting the cold water tank might help, as i have followed the hot water pipes and they go into the loft, would a bigger cold tank make a difference. Thanks

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:01 pm

I dont think a bigger tank will help but Im sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm.

Lifting the tank will definately help though.

simpleton
Tradesman
Tradesman

by simpleton » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:42 pm

a bigger tank wont help at all, if you need more pressure then it needs to be situated as high as possible, then you have more atmospheric pressure pushing it down. Is your hot water cylinder situated in an airing cupboard or in the loft with the cold water storage cistern?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:16 pm