Hot water taking forever
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bloodoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hot water taking forever

by Bloodoo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Following major renovations it now takes ages for hot water to reach our upstairs bathrooms. I fully understand that this is due to a long line of hot water piping needing to be purged of cold water before the hot eventually comes through.
The hot water tank (on the first floor) is less than 20 feet from the bathrooms. I plan to take a junction from the existing hot water draw off by the tank up into the attic where I plan to "T" into the existing upstairs hot water line supplying the bathrooms. I would then either cap the original supply line or fit a gate valve so that I can revert if need be.
So, after leaving the tank the hot water draw off line would split in two providing an upstairs supply and a separate downstairs hot water supply.
I would be grateful if knowledgeable members could tell me whether this plan is feasible or advisable. If it works I would get hot water upstairs pretty quickly without the expense of a recirculating hot water pump.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hot water taking forever

by stoneyboy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Hi bloodoo
Suugest you try your proposed mods but do fit full flow ball vales at either end of your new pipework. If this doesn't work you will have to consider fitting a hot water loop but you will need a second hot tapping on your hot water tank.
Regards S

Bloodoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Hot water taking forever

by Bloodoo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:51 pm

Thanks Stoneyboy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:52 am