house extension
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevzquestions1
Labourer
Labourer

house extension

by kevzquestions1 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi i have read various querys on this forum but havent found 1 that awnsers my questions. im getting an extension built by contractors. to keep my costs down i had planned to do the wiring myself. im a maintenace electrician and not up to date with 17th ed. regs. also i live in scotland ( i therfore think part p doesnt cover me?).what i wanted to know is if i tie into existing sockets and lighting circuits downstairs and up can i submit minor completion certs. for this and do i need to be registered to certify the installation.if this not possible what are my options.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Is the work you are carrying out on the extension, covered by Scottish Building Controls as a whole, if so I'd consider putting forward the application including any new electrical installation work.

A minor work is considered to be any addition or extension of existing circuits, exchanging like for like ie switch and socket plates.

Under BS7671:2008 any new circuits or newly extended circuits should be RCD protected unless certain requirements are met (but then it gets complicated, 50mm deep chases, mechanical protection to name two)
If believe Electrical Installations is covered by Part N of SBC.
It's always worth asking the question to your local inspector/officer some are really helpful.
KB

kevzquestions1
Labourer
Labourer

by kevzquestions1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 pm

thanks for the info. my house is only 8 years old so i have a split load box and 2 circuits of sockets though they are both from 1 rcd. i thought if i just added into the existing circuits that i wouldnt need a test cert.i really dont want to have to pay somebody to do what i can do myself for free.what can i do to check up on this.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:50 pm

If your adding on/extending existing circuits, it's MWC (tyr this: http://www.wmjoiner.co.uk/Download/4%20 ... BS7671.pdf)
You sound like you should know how to fill this in.
If the circuits are already covered by RCDs no problem or install a RCD spur.
It's when you start installing new protective device at the CU and new circuits. When you then need to start filling in schedules of inspection and test results plus an EIC.
Minor Works is non notifiable, if your unsure of your position regarding building controls and permitted non notifiable work contact your local office and ask the questions.
This may also help http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/proced_legislati ... _20072.pdf

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 am