DIY Doctor

Main navigation

House refurbishment but where do I start ?

Postby Chris Douglas » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 pm

My house is 24 years old looking tired and in need of a renovation/refurbishment/upgrade but where do I start?
The windows and external doors are wooden and in good condition should I replace with UPVC just for the sake of it?
I am looking to upgrade my kitchen,bathroom and garden but need to be sensible with my budget.
Can any one offer any advice for a starting point and who would be the best workmen to contact?
Chris Douglas
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby stoneyboy » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi chrisdouglas
If your windows are not double glazed then replacing them with upvc would be a good place to start.
If they are, pick your most important upgrade, get this underway and ask the tradesmen if they know of other local trades for the next project. Split your renovation into bite sized pieces so that if you get a bad job you will not be in for the whole lot.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Chris Douglas » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:32 am

Thanks for your reply S.
I read some where that wooden windows and doors can last up to 60 years with regular care & maintenance but UPVC will only last 20 years.
Longevity is important to me so should I replace my windows and doors even though they are in good condition.
Regards Chris
Chris Douglas
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:03 pm

Hi chrisdouglas
I’m sure there are some wooden windows which if properly treated before being installed and are regularly maintained they may last 30+ years. Upvc ones on the other hand are not dependent on preparation or brick opening conditions.
If you are happy with the existing windows pick the next most important project.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Chris Douglas » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm

Thanks S
Your advice has been valuable. I will look into getting
some quotes for the work that's needed.

Kind Regards
Chris
Chris Douglas
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!