DIY Doctor

house to garage

Postby walljex » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 pm

i am going to install electric to my garage the cable is already under the ground i just need to know what other material i need to make it water tight and what the best consumer unit to buy many thanks.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:14 pm


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi walljex,
Check out the projects page on Part P of building regulations, before you do something not only against the law but dangerous.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby jaffa19 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi walljex,

Sorry to poke my nose in but what Kbrownie is saying just incase your not sure is that; to ask those questions it sounds like you may not be a qualified sparks.

Installing any electrics outside is classed as a special location under BS7671 and building regs. For you to carry out any work COULD result in someone being hurt/killed if your not aware of the current wiring regulations.

PartP is the section of the building regulations relating to special locations for electrical installations.

Just making your cable watertight and buying a good brand consumer unit will not make the installation safe.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics