House way too hot during summer months
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rossy_87
Labourer
Labourer

House way too hot during summer months

Post by Rossy_87 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 pm

I live in a 1960's house, that is constantly way too hot throughout the summer - I know that this is expected during the warmer months, but it's way hotter than it should be (upstairs is ~29 degrees in the evening). I've tried various advice I've found online such as keeping blinds down, whilst allowing ventilation to flow through the windows, trying to push air around using a fan etc. We also got our cavity walls insulated last year, but nothing has really helped.
There is some quite thick insulation on the floor of the loft (where it's also swelteringly hot) - is it possible that this is having an adverse affect? Would opening the loft hatch and trying to force some air circulation up there help things?
Any tips would be appreciated. I'm open to spending a few hundred pounds to get this sorted, although not too keen on the idea of air con.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: House way too hot during summer months

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 pm

Hi rossy_87
If you have sloping ceilings upstairs the issue is that the sloping part is not insulated. If your loft is totally above vertical outside walls you could try solar reflective film on your upstairs windows. You could also try cross ventilating the loft space but this must include vents in the upper parts of the roof.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm