How can I repair old plaster (wall tiles removed)
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

How can I repair old plaster (wall tiles removed)

by alexeix » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi,

I'm replacing my bathroom suite and have decided to renovate the whole room while I'm at it.
The bathroom walls were tiled up to approximately 1000mm from the floor and when I removed the tiling, quite a bit of plaster came off the wall as well. This is old plaster (grey, crumbly when you scratch it), possibly original - and the house is about 100 years old.

Now, I want to put up tongue and groove (T&G) panelling up to the same height all round, so I'm not concerned about how the bottom half of the walls look; I just need a surface good enough to fix the T&G panels onto.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?
How should I treat the surface in order to be able to fix T&G panels onto it?
Obviously I need to remove any existing plaster which is loose, but what then? I don't really want to have to remove ALL the old plaster, especially since their may be lathes underneath.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How can I repair old plaster (wall tiles removed)

by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 am

If the wall is uneven its best to cut out the plaster and drill and fix battens to the wall.Fix the battens straight and level Then nail the T&g to the battens

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:47 am