How can I Tell if I Have Rising Damp in 1800's Cottage?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AMallin
Labourer
Labourer

How can I Tell if I Have Rising Damp in 1800's Cottage?

Post by AMallin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:31 pm

I live in a terraced cottage built in the 1800's and have noticed two patches either side of the fireplace which are darker. On one side the lining paper has also not stuck down properly.

When we redecorated the living room a year ago there was a similar problem with the paper that was already there but assumed it was because it had been there for years. However when we redecorated a year ago the same issue reappeared but has not got worse. The floor and skirting boards are fine and there is no sign of damp in the cupboard next to the worse patch. It is on an inside wall which is between the neighbouring property and our cottage.
[img][img]
I have added photos of the two patches.
My research is pointing towards rising damp, but I really hope it is not. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it could be and how to fix it?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PatK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How can I Tell if I Have Rising Damp in 1800's Cottage?

Post by PatK » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Not an expert by any means, but I do live in a building built around the same time. My house is a stone building with no cavity wall or dmp etc.,

What I found out was that my walls need to "breath" moisture through them. If you apply lining paper and paint this with a paint that won't allow the moisture to escape, then damp patches will occur.

I have virtually removed ALL wall paper and painted them with emulsion paint and that has helped alot....not 100% but has helped. Good luck!!

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How can I Tell if I Have Rising Damp in 1800's Cottage?

Post by Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:52 am

AMallin wrote:I live in a terraced cottage built in the 1800's and have noticed two patches either side of the fireplace which are darker. On one side the lining paper has also not stuck down properly.

When we redecorated the living room a year ago there was a similar problem with the paper that was already there but assumed it was because it had been there for years. However when we redecorated a year ago the same issue reappeared but has not got worse. The floor and skirting boards are fine and there is no sign of damp in the cupboard next to the worse patch. It is on an inside wall which is between the neighbouring property and our cottage.
[img][img]
I have added photos of the two patches.
My research is pointing towards rising damp, but I really hope it is not. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it could be and how to fix it?
Thanks.

I'd suggest to check for impermeable or non breathable materials, like sand cement render, EPS, Celotex, Kingspan, etc.

If any of those materials used in the permeable, traditionally built home, then the first thing is to do it to remove them. The logic behind is that this materials would potentially trap moisture and would lead to condensation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:26 pm