How can i test if my pipes are corretly boneded n earthed?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bonding
Labourer
Labourer

How can i test if my pipes are corretly boneded n earthed?

Post by Bonding » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:26 pm

How can I test if my pipes are corretly boneded n earthed? I have an electric meter, how can I use this to test if my water pipes and gas pipes are correctly bonded and earthed? I know for a fact that the gas pipes in my home are not earthed, the gas man told me. Now I worry that the same is true of my water system. Is there a simple test to show if there is a suitable earth connection? If there is no earth on the pipes I guess I need to run an earth from the main fuse box to the pipework?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi, first thing is visual checks as bond to water must be in 10mm2 cable your side of main water stop cock within 300mm of it so should be obvious, likewise with gas , must be within 300mm of your side of meter after flex pipe b4 any branch or tee, unless external meter box, in which case can be within 300mm of point of entry to building . Also in 10mm2 conductor. If you can't see it it aint there!
If you believe it to be earthed but not visible then you must carry out a 'bond-test' using a meter capable of passing several Amps (4.5-25) purpose made for the job, an ordinary multi-meter won't do i'm afraid as it may see an earth path but the route may not be capable of carrying enough power to trip a fault current.
The other thing is to look at cables leaving your fuse board, there should be a main earth in plus 1 or 2 large outgoing earth wires seperate from those in twin & earth circuit cables, if not you have a prob.
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:21 pm