How do I Attach a Pull up Bar to the Steel I Bar above Garage Door?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
apacheDIYman
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do I Attach a Pull up Bar to the Steel I Bar above Garage Door?

by apacheDIYman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:21 pm

I have this steel I bar in above my garage door, though I can only access one side of it as you can see in the photo:

http://imgur.com/dJxleTF

I want to attach a pull up bar, which can ideally take my body weight (up to 80kg). I have seen many brackets for steel I bars that you can fix a pull up bar to, but as I can only access half of this, is there a way I can wedge a pull up bar or some kind of clamp or bracket in, to then attach to the pull up bar to?

Any pull up bar will do, something like this that normally attaches to doors and often falls off!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pull+up+bar&tbm=isch

thedoctor

Re: How do I Attach a Pull up Bar to the Steel I Bar above Garage Door?

by thedoctor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:50 am

Hi

As you only have access to the front face of the steel joist, your best bet is to try and fix across the visible face, if you see what I mean. This would involve installing some upright (vertical) steel sections to the top and bottom “I” sections of the steel (see rough mock-up image)

In terms of fixing, the upright plates can be welded (mobile welder or local engineering company can help) or you can have the upright plates formed into a “C” shape so that the flat sections of the C either fit inside the top and bottom of the steel joist or over the top flat section and under the bottom flat section. If using this second method you can then drill through the steel joist and then your C plates and then bolt them in place (would save on welding)

Due to the hardness of the steel used in the joist and your plates you will need to use decent drill bits and a decent drill (might be worth hiring these). In terms of the steel plates, to ensure these are strong enough you will need to use at least 4-5mm steel and also decent size bolts (at least 15mm).

Unfortunately it’s not that straight forward a job and will most probably involve some costs but if you want it to be a sturdy, decent job then it’s best to do it properly.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Fixing plates for pullup bar
Fixing plates for pullup bar

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:58 pm