how do I get a nice striaght line using a router
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arches
Apprentice
Apprentice

how do I get a nice striaght line using a router

by arches » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:52 pm

I have just purchased a router.I have never used one before and am looking for guidance on use. Basically,I want to route a channel behind 70x15mm chamfered and rounded mdf skirting to hide speaker cables.

I have the usual workmate type bench and tried on a waste piece,but even using the router guide,found it difficult to both grip the skirting tight enough using the bench grip and to channel out the groove staight using the bench edge. Any suggestions please!

property man
Apprentice
Apprentice

by property man » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:03 pm

hire a router table

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

w do I get a nice striaght line using a router

by Perry525 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Try the following, it works for me.
I fix the wood I intend to cut in my workmate.
Then I fix a straight edge, a piece of aly I use for plastering,. to the wood using a G cramp at each end, then I push the router along the aly guide, pressing the side of the router against the guide.
Result, a channel or shape as straight as the guide.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:03 am

Hi, Perrys advice is good, as is property mans. Unfortunately in this case I suspect the skirting won't be wide enough to clamp a batten to it - which is a shame 'cos that is exactly what to do if you can!

What you are doing should work, so I suspect you just need to get used to it. The following tips might help.

Routers - even the small ones - are dangerous beasties. Treat them with respect! Until you have some experience keep BOTH hands on the router

Which means finding a way to clamp the skirting firmly. If you cant clamp it in the workmate drill a couple of small holes thru it and nail it down. Fill the holes with filler later. (Don't rout thru the nail!!)

Take small cuts, no more than 3mm deep at one go, get a deep cut in multiple passes

Steel cutters will blunt quickly on MDF, use TCT ones. When it gets blunt (it starts burning the MDF) change it.

There is a right way and a wrong way to move the router. The rotation of the cutter will either pull it away from the fence or pull it into the fence depending on whether you move it left to right or right to left. Basically move it so the cutter cuts into the wood, not out of it - so you are pushing the router into the work, the router shouldn't pull itself through.

Don't force it, small cutters break easily.

Good luck.

property man
Apprentice
Apprentice

by property man » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:25 pm

use a circular saw and set the depth to 7mm and rip 2 cut down and then use a chisel to remove the remainder or buy dual sided skirting this will have a gap at the bottom for wires to run behind or third option is to scrape a groove in the plaster behind the skirt and put the wires there

option 2 it best as it means you can screw the skirting without catching the wires

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:45 pm

doesn't your router come with a parallel fence? that seems the simplest option and can be set to small measurements

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:16 am