How do I make concrete fence posts?
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bell
Labourer
Labourer

How do I make concrete fence posts?

by Bell » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:18 pm

Hello all, basicall I have a large garden and want to put a fence all the way round, and thought I'd save a lot of money if I make my own concrete posts. Does anyone know how to make them?

I could do with knowing all information from what to use as the mould (wood etc) and what ratio of concrete should I use (how many parts cement, sand etc and what type sand) and how long I should expect them to take to cure before removing mouldings.

I know all of this is a pain but any help or advice will be greatly appreciated..even if it's "don't bother..buy them!".

Thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed May 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Fence posts are reinforced with Steel and should not be attempted DIY. Water gets into concrete, its unavoidable and absolutely certain if the posts are made DIY as the concrete needs to be vibrated in a way which removes ALL air. This does not even happen in a purpose built factory so there is no way it will happen in your garden I'm afraid. The water gets into the air voids, freezes in cold weather. Frozen water expands into ice putting pressure on the concrete and making tiny hairline cracks. These cracks fill up next time it rains and the process just continues until the post is cracked enough to fall apart. Without steel reinforcing this failure could hurt someone badly if they were in the wrong place etc.

See our project on freeze thaw action to explain more.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:25 pm