How do I move a socket?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Blind melon
Labourer
Labourer

How do I move a socket?

by Blind melon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:27 am

Hello everyone - I am an enthusiastic but largely inexperienced diy-er and I need your help!

I have a bedroom which I am sorting out. This includes replacing old narrow skirting with new skirting which is much higher. This means that the two twin sockets in there need to be moved upwards by around 6-8 inches.

The problem is there is not enough 'slack' in the existing wires to move them without adding new wire. My question is can I get around this problem by adding small lenghts of new wire to give me the additional length I need? If so how do I do this? Do I use a junction box? Or is the answer that I have no choice but to trace the wires back and instal complete new lengths from the previous socket/junction box?

Finally is doing this kind of thing within part P?

Many thanks in advance of any advice or suggestions you may have.

BM

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:57 pm

There is a link to Part P but I don't think you need it. There are special junction boxes with spring wire connectors which can be mounted where they are not accessible but junction boxes with screw terminals need access. You can use heat shrink and crimp connectors or solder wires.
Common to use crimps and self amalgamating tape but you must use proper crimp pliers not the cheap type. i.e. they should have mechanism which indicates when crimped to correct amount.
When I return tonight I will look for where the spring clip type junction boxes are sold and try to direct you if you need that type.

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

moving a socket

by TOPSPARK » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:18 pm

A s your are fitting new skirting and the floor is hopefully bare of carpet i
would recommend taking up the floorboard nearest to the socket pulling the wires from the socket back down and connecting the old existing wires in two separate 30 amp junction boxes with new wire for you to extend the socket above the new skirting board you are fitting. This would be my preferred method and the safest and best for you
regards
Topspark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi JB's under the floor would be my answer, some will say that they are not accessible for inspection but no one ever checks wiring connections at fittings routinely anyway!!& as lifting floor to do it gives opportunity to leave screwed down 'trap' section which can be marked as such for the pedants!

regards SPARX

Blind melon
Labourer
Labourer

by Blind melon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:37 am

Just wanted to say thank you very much for your helpful responses. Junction boxes under the floor it is!

Thanks again.
BM

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:31 am