How do I paint over a formica worktop
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Alphonso49uk
Labourer
Labourer

How do I paint over a formica worktop

by Alphonso49uk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:14 pm

We recently replaced our kitchen worktop due to minor fire damage.Unfortunately only one of us was present to pick the replacement formica worktop.It is now fitted and looks absolutely horrendous.Its supposed to be marble effect but looks like someone has scraped a screwdriver all over it.I hate it!
My question is...does anybody have any idiot proof instructions on how to repaint the worktop...sealers,specific types of paint,number of coats etc in order to create an acceptable marble effect.It doesnt have to be marble.....Speckly black would be ok.I know theres a fair bit about this on you tube etc but all the posts Ive seen have come from americans and Im pretty sure most of the brand products theyre using wont be available over here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How do I paint over a formica worktop

by welsh brickie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm

you cant paint over it, formica is designed to repel water, spills etc and to paint it you will need to score it with sand paper to make the new paint adhere to it, which its obviously its not designed for. Its best to replace it

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:00 am