How do I rewire this old double light switch?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AndyFaeLarky
Labourer
Labourer

How do I rewire this old double light switch?

by AndyFaeLarky » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:46 pm

I have a double light switch that controls the kitchen and the outside lights. I want to replace it with a new switch but the new switch looks very different to the old one.

I tried to post photos but couldn't for some reason.

Any able to help me - I can send phots if required.

Andy

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How do I rewire this old double light switch?

by Mr White » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:42 pm

Without pictures, anything is just a guess.

The forum wrote:Allowed file types are jpg, jpeg, gif and png with a maximum file size of 500KB per image file and maximum dimensions of no more than 1024 pixels in width and no more than 1000 pixels in height.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How do I rewire this old double light switch?

by ericmark » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:08 am

Some switches use the label 'com' plus L1 and L2, and others just L1, L2, L3, if that is the case L1 = Com, L2 = L1, and L3 = L2.

Also switches some times have a place for the neutrals, seem to remember called Loop, this does not connect to anything, and if the new switch does not have it, then a bit of terminal block is required.

Switches come in many types.
Single pole on/off two terminals used.
Two way, better name is change over, three terminals used.
Intermediate, better name reversing switch, four terminals used.
Double pole on/off again four terminals used, and looks very much like the Intermediate switch but inside very different.

For an outside light I would use a double pole on/off switch, and since the other switch is simple single pole on/off I would use a grid switch, where I can select switch wanted and click them into a plate.

With this in mind you need to reduce picture size and post them, I use FastStone Photo Resizer in the main, it was a free program, there are other free programs like Gimp, or those you pay for like Photoshop.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:00 am