How do I strip gloss paint off a plastic coated garage door?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spunk Monkey
Labourer
Labourer

How do I strip gloss paint off a plastic coated garage door?

Post by Spunk Monkey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:17 am

I have just recently moved into a house where the previous owner had an obsession with red paint, both inside and outside the house.

The house is about 5 years old and has Henderson "Regent" white garage doors which I believe have a white plastisol coat from reading their web site. These doors have been painted with a deep red gloss/exterior paint.

I want to remove the red paint and get the garage doors back to their original white plastisol finish.

The paint has not bonded particulary well. Big strips can be pulled off the door frame and the paint can be scratched off the door to reveal the orginal white plastisol finish (Which is of a good condition).

I have thought above using some kind of steam stripper, or a paint stripper. Whatever action I take to remove the red gloss paint should ensure that the orginal covering undernealth remains undamaged.

Any advice will be greatly received.

:D

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Spunk Monkey,
Try a pressure washer - steam may well soften the original coating.
end

DAVECAVAN
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How do I strip gloss paint off a plastic coated garage d

Post by DAVECAVAN » Mon May 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi

I've a similar problem. Gloss paint on a garage door. Can you recommend how to remove ? Thanks

Dave

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:09 pm