How do TRVs work?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Do TRVs open and close based on the room temp or the water tem?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:56 pm
Based on the temperature of the room
100%
Based on the temperature of the radiator
No votes
Based on the temperature of the water flowing through the TRV
No votes

Total votes: 5
billandben
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do TRVs work?

by billandben » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm having an argument with a friend of mine about how Thermostatic Radiator Valves work. I believe they measure the temperature of the room and open and close as the temperature changes, he believes that they measure the temperature of the radiator or of the water flowing through the valve. Can anyone give me the definitive answer please?
thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 am

The temperature of the room.

If it was the temp of the rad or the water. Then 21 degree's would be met quickly and the room would still be stone cold.

The head of the TRV is what senses the tempertaure, as the temp rises the liquid will expand in turn pushing the pin down to close the valve.

htg

mblago
Tradesman
Tradesman

by mblago » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:32 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]The temperature of the room.

If it was the temp of the rad or the water. Then 21 degree's would be met quickly and the room would still be stone cold.

The head of the TRV is what senses the tempertaure, as the temp rises the liquid will expand in turn pushing the pin down to close the valve.

htg[/quote]

The TVR,s in my bedrooms come first thing in the morning even if they are set at the lowest setting but go off later on, is this right or should they be stone cold all the time ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:31 pm

?????????? explain.

The radiator will come on, when the room reaches the temperature set on the TRV the rad valve will be closed (no flow of water, radiator will cool eventually unless the room temp drops first)

When the room temp drops the rad valve will open.

and so on..................

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1