How many water tanks should I have....
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
english_deltic
Labourer
Labourer

How many water tanks should I have....

by english_deltic » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Can anyone help me on this one. My wife is on another plumbing forum at present trying to find out how to solve a problem with our hot water, but she is being told we should have two water tanks in our loft BUT I can only find ONE. Am I going mad? I have been up there and could only find ome 20 gallon water tank. Can anyone confirm I am not going mad......

Thanks

Robbie

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:23 am

Boilers can be Combi which gives no water tanks, or closed loop giving one cold water tank and a cistern (hot water tank), or open loop with two cold water tanks plus cistern. The closed loop without instant hot water also being incorporated is no so common. The often have a ball looking thing with tyre valve on top. And also some method of filling system and a pressure gauge.

Hot water can be thermo siphon or pumped and may have motorised valves or nothing. With motorised valves if pumped normally "Y" plan but there is also a "S" plan and if not pumped motorised valves are often on "C" plan.

Some programmers will allow you to select central heating without hot water others will not.

Try to find out as much about your system as you can and describe the fault. As well as what I have listed there are loads of special systems as well.

I have only worked on the electrical systems but on many types but I am sure there are heating and ventilating guys who will help too.

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

by m7ohn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:49 am

Hey you not mad, i ain't got any tank in my attic!!

Depends what system you got for your domestic and heating requirements.

I used to have a big tank up their which used to provide my hot and cold water needs via a copper cylinder in my bedroom.
I also had a smaller tank which served the purpose of a header tank for my central heating radiators.

Now i ain't got anything, including no copper cylinder because i've had a condenation boiler fitted in the kitchen. So hot water on demand and the central heating system is a closed loop system.

Marcus

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 pm