How to cap off removed radiator pipes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
perryman
Labourer
Labourer

How to cap off removed radiator pipes

by perryman » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:23 pm

Hi, I have a removed radiator by turning off the valves and just unscrewing it and dumping it. Now the pipes are just dangling down from the ceiling and I want to remove them and cap off where they branch out from the main pip upstairs.

Upstairs we have a water heating cylinder for running hot water and the central heating pipes go through it in order to heat up (as I understand it).

Our boiler down stairs is old and isn't a combi boiler.

My question is what steps must I take before I cut the pipes to cap them off?

Cheers
Sean

Stilson24
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How to cap off removed radiator pipes

by Stilson24 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:40 pm

You will need depend on the type of cylinder, indirect or possibly primatic. The indirect has a coil inside which keeps the hot water and heating water separate, Primatic has a peculiar system where the water is kept separate by an air bubble.
Shut off the heating water supply and the cold feed to the cylinder (hot water). You then need to drain the system to a level below where you wish to cut and reconnect the pipes, complete the work and refill the system.
If you have inhibitor in the heating system it will not be a Primatic cylinder as you cannot have inhibitor in Primatic systems because of water mixing (heating and hot water)

perryman
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to cap off removed radiator pipes

by perryman » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi thanks for you informative reply. The pipe come directly down from upstairs so does that mean I only have to drain all the upstairs radiators? Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1