how to change a stair tread and getting the new one back in?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hump86
Labourer
Labourer

how to change a stair tread and getting the new one back in?

by hump86 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:17 am

hello im Dave and its my first time on the site thought id ask for a second opinion

Im look to tidy up an existing stair case

A couple of treads have got edge damage so I thought id replace them with some 12 inch thick window board
the problem is that it they are encased in a skirting that is part of the stair case that runs either side down the length of the stairs
so getting it out will be tricky but I can manage to cut it out as that skirting doesnt look like its got any play
but I was concerned about getting it back in . Maybe if I cut it a little bit shorter I will be able to angle it in ?

some of the others are creaking so i was going to try to screw them down

cheers in advance hope you are having a nice sunday

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: how to change a stair tread and getting the new one back in?

by proptech » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi Dave

Unless you can access under the staircase you will not be able to replace a tread. Suggest you look up the way they are constructed, you'll see what I mean,
How about cutting back the edge, and glue/screw a new section to the existing tread.

medlockstaircases
Labourer
Labourer

by medlockstaircases » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:07 am

Hi Dave,

Would be tricky without having access from the underside. Although it certainly could be done one way or another. Firstly when you say edge damage to the tread, could just the nosing of the tread be replaced?. The nosing could be cut back and a new replacement piece fixed to the front, you'd see a joint this way and not sure if it would be covered with carpet ?

You could also chop the housing in the wall string deeper instead of cutting the tread shorter, same thing but your tread would have a greater bearing in the groove, once you have got it in. Use PU glue when refixing and eliminate any creaks. hope this has been a help.

hump86
Labourer
Labourer

by hump86 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 am

And how about the creaking would simply screwing them to something more solid be all I can do or would there be any alternatives ?
In going to cut back the damage now instead of changing whole tread.
Cheers guys
Dave

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:09 pm

In a word, yes, but do you have access to the underside ? If so, then blocks can be glued and screwed between treads and risers.

medlockstaircases
Labourer
Labourer

by medlockstaircases » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Dave,

PU glue doesn't just set rock hard it expands slightly as well.

Apply glue to any slight gaps between tread and riser or under tread nosing, this will expand slightly and eliminate creaks.

If your risers have come away from your tread at the bottom you could screw a temporary block to the back of the tread then screw into the riser, pulling the riser into the tread apply plenty of glue and cut off excess after and of course remove the block.

Don't get it on your hands, its a pain to get off.

good luck.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:23 am